Sunday 14 August 2011

The Great Gatsby, Review by Uli Vuma

First off, I didn't even know that this book exists. I was destined to come across it through a little site called IMDb. You see, I was mischievously checking Leonardo DiCaprio when I found out he was given the "prestigious" role of Mr. Gatsby for the remake of some american classic written years before they invented "The Credit Card." So naturally, I was uninterested. But because i am i die-hard fan of Mr. DiCaprio, and quite honestly, a little obsessed with anything and everything he does, I checked out this "American Classic." Might I just add, thank goodness for Wikipedia, it gives you a mouthful for free. In this mouthful of information, I discovered everything there is to know about "The Great Gatsby." That is, of course, if you exclude a concrete description of the books plot, characters and how it ends. I blame "spoiler alert".  Anyhow, besides its hackneyed name and its ancient appearance, I found this book to be nothing short of awesome. In point form, I will elaborate on what I thought of it.

  1. Boy, was I wrong for adding quotation marks on the word American Classic. This book, is hands down one of the best books I've read.
  2. Wow, the affairs and what-sort that go on in this book. I say again, Wow.
  3. East Egg, West Egg. Those are weird names for places.
  4. Even I got combat-fatigue from all the falling-outs that took place in this book. Who knew Mr. Bunchanan can punch like that. And shootings taking place in swimming pools? Can i just mention how very original that was. I was floored by the ghastliness of that particular situation.
  5. I feel a deep and overwhelming sorrow for Nick Carraway. His eyes must have itched and burned. My eyes itched and burned. And I was only reading. 
  6. I don't think that everyone can enjoy this books capriciousness. This book is up and down, left right and center. You need VALOID for this one.
  7. I will forever imagine a person called "Myrtle" to be an obnoxious home-wrecker. My apologies to all the future "Myrtles" that I will meet.
  8. I must remember what "the wedding cake of a ceiling" is.
This is just a select few of the things that i questioned, pondered about and discovered while reading what must be the Holy Grail of American Classics. The only thing I need now, is for Mr. Fitzgerald to rise from the dead and explain more to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment